Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Dally in the Alley

Happy Monday!


Can't believe the weekend came and went so quickly! In a flash it's over and it's back-to-work day again... Sadly.


This Saturday, The Boyfriend and I went on a little trip to downtown Detroit to go to the Dally in the Alley, a street fair in Detroit held in... well, the alley!  There was music, fun, artists, freaks, and tons of fun to be had. 


There were 4 music stages set up in the Dally, hosting a variety of amazing bands.  Detroit, by the way, has amazing music. 

We ended up at Slows Bar BQ for lunch.  Slows is an institution of Detroit (I say so), they have THE BEST bbq that I have ever had, in a really cool setting.  They have every type of beer from all over the world.  The Boyfriend and I had a seat at the bar and enjoyed a wonderful meal and conversation.  

If you ever find yourself anywhere near Detroit... VISIT SLOWS! You will not regret it!

Detroit is amazing. I love it, and it suits me.  I can imagine how gritty and maybe even dangerous it looks to outsiders, but the fact of the matter is that Detroit has CHARACTER.  It is real, it is raw, and it is not made up like some other cities are, yet it is beautiful, if you get to know it.

Detroit hosts a huge collection of buildings by Mies van der Rohe, called Lafayette Park, which was the first urban renewal project in the entire USA.  Not only was Detroit a main location for the industrial revolution, but also, it was an important stage for the Arts and Crafts Movement which countered it.  

I will have to write another post about the things I have learned about Detroit soon.  In the mean time, I would really like to refer you to Sweet Juniper! - a blog by James Griffioen, to learn more about the city from a person who actually lives and raises a family there.  His voice is amazing and I'm amazed how many great things I've learned about Detroit (history, places, things to do, etc) from reading his blog.  Even if you do not want to learn more about Detroit, Sweet Juniper! should still be on your to-read list.

With that, I leave you to go forth and earn my bread and butter.  I hope to have some new work on the shop this week.

PS: OMG! I totally forgot!  Please visit Tall Dark Roast for my interview with Etsy artist Ben Kafton and other yummy posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment